The ultimate goal of the guidance department is to ensure that ALL students acquire the skills knowledge, and attitudes needed to become effective students, responsible citizens, productive workers, and lifelong learners.
Here's what our FAMU DRS Guidance Counselors can do for you!
Guidance services for parents include:
- Telephone Conferences
- Parent Conferences
- Parent/Teacher Conferences
- Helping Parents help their children
- Parent Workshops on interpreting FSA/NGSSS scores, Homework Tips, Parenting Teens, etc.
- Academic Planning, Middle School and High School Orientation
- Scholarship and College Planning
- Referrals to Community Agencies
- Academic Planning and Diploma Option Meetings
- Information and Resources
Concerns you may want to discuss with your child’s school counselor include:
- Classroom performance
- Family changes
- Home or community stressors
- Classroom Behavior
- Peer Relationships
- Any Sudden Change in Your Child’s Behavior or Attitude
The guidance counselor provides information and support in the areas of Academic, Career, and Social/Personal Development through:
- School-wide Guidance Activities
- Classroom Guidance
- Academic Planning and Advisement
- Group Counseling · Crisis Counseling
- Transition Programs
- Coordination of Fun and Community Service
As part of each student’s academic team, the school counselor is here to support you in meeting individual student academic and behavioral needs.
- Accommodations and Program Information
- Behavioral Intervention plans
- Academic Interventions to deal with struggling students.
- Parent Conferences and parent communication Academic Planning
WAYS FOR A STUDENT TO SEE THE SCHOOL COUNSELOR:
- Self Referral -- guidance request forms are available through guidance and classroom teachers
- Parent Referral -- please call with any concern or questions
- Teacher Referral -- teachers frequently bring concerns to the team for follow up
- Administrative Referrals -- involving academic or behavioral concerns
- For more information or to set up an appointment please email Mrs. Kay Wallace @ firstname.lastname@example.org