School Health Plan
FAMU DRS Health and Safety Protocols
- Teachers to return on Monday, August 2.
- Students to return on Tuesday, August 10.
- Elementary, Middle and High Schools will operate a regular 7 period schedule.
- Fully operational, will include hot meals school-wide on August 23.
- Elementary, Middle and High school classrooms will maintain seating charts beginning August 20.
- All classrooms have been retrofitted with Plexiglass sneeze guards.
Visitors on Campus –
- Visitors, volunteers, mentors, or any non-district employee will be required to wear a mask before being allowed on campus during the school day (until procedures are readdressed).
Field Trips –
- At the elementary and middle school level, field trips will NOT be allowed until November 1, when procedures will be readdressed.
- At the high school level, field trips will resume the first nine weeks on a case-by-case basis.
Locker use –
- Students will be able to use lockers.
Facility rentals –
- Open for all use on a case-by-case basis for usage.
- Use of masks is encouraged district wide K-12.
- Masks are a student's personal responsibility.
- Masks are one of many mitigation methods to help prevent COVID-19 transmission but are not a substitute for vaccinations.
- Extra masks will be available at all school sites for students, employees, and visitors.
- Parents should initiate a request if they wish for help with compliance of mask wearing for their child.
- Schools and teachers will provide “reasonable assistance” to aid in student mask use.
- The administration should be involved and speak with parents and assist the student with wearing their mask if needed. The health department is available to provide families guidance and assistance on mask use.
- Staff will be encouraged to reduce stigma in classrooms for both masked and unmasked students.
Quarantine/Exposure Protocol -
- Report any positive case/test to FAMU DRS Administration:
- K-5: Genleah Swain and Cami Bernales
- 6-12: Pink Hightower, Zellee Barnes, and Roger Walker
- District: Patricia West, Assistant Superintendent
Student School Work While Quarantining -
- Are available to everyone 12 and older.
- If fully vaccinated*, no further testing or quarantine required
- *Fully vaccinated =(14 days after last dose)
- You may not ask if someone is vaccinated, but can advise on protocols for quarantine and exposure.
Daily Health Checks –
- No longer required upon arrival(No temperature checks, symptom check, etc.)
- Teachers can check temperatures in classrooms prior to sending them to the clinic (as needed).
Change in Fever Free Procedure –
- Students MUST be fever free (under 100º) without medication for 48 hours.
School Clinic Protocols –
- Schools (K-12) will keep sick students separated from each other as much as possible within space limitations.
- Masks may be used in clinics for any student exhibiting any illness (fever, sneezing, coughing, etc.).
- In an abundance of caution, students exhibiting any Covid like symptoms will be sent home and can return when symptoms subside.
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
Immune Compromised Students -
- The medical management plan created by the student’s M.D. will be followed by the school nurse assigned to the school.
Community Notification –
- Schools will send a parent/guardian community notification about a positive case identified in the school.
- Administrators will send individual classroom notifications for any student potentially exposed to a positive case.
- The District will display a COVID-19 dashboard on the FAMU DRS website homepage. The purpose of the dashboard is to communicate to our community the number of confirmed, positive cases of COVID-19. The dashboard will reflect the date and the number of FAMUDRS students and employees, along with the district sites where the positive cases have been identified. The dashboard will be updated at the end of each week.
Sanitation Procedures –
- Daily sanitation measures will continue through Plant Operations and Maintenance (POM).
- All school buildings will have a sanitation team for targeted cleaning if a positive case occurs within a school building.