National Honor Society
Membership in the National Honor Society is one of the highest honors that can be awarded to a high school student. Our chapter will work very hard to bring the accomplishments of our outstanding students to the attention of parents, teachers, peers, and the community. Our chapter would like to inform you of the standards that will be considered as the basis for selection for the upcoming school year. Please note, the National Honor Society is not only about grade point averages and academic excellence. It is not just a resume filler or another cord to wear at graduation. The National Honor Society strives to recognize the total student – one who excels in all of the core principles/areas of National Honor Society (as they are listed below).
In order to apply to the National Honor Society at Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University Developmental Research School, you must be prepared to demonstrate the following:
Submitting an application or having a high grade average does not equate to an automatic selection. Again, please note, the Matthew H. Estaras National Honor Society is a service, honor organization. Membership is a highly sought after honor that is recognized throughout the country, but it requires commitment to the ideals of the organization. Your acceptance of membership indicates your willingness to consistently and faithfully participate in National Honor Society sponsored activities, service projects, and meetings. In order to maintain membership in National Honor Society, you must maintain your grade point average (GPA is checked each semester), fulfill your service hour requirements each year, demonstrate leadership qualities by being a good leader, show good character and integrity, abide by the Matthew H. Estaras National Honor Society bylaws, and abide by the National Honor Society (national chapter) principles and bylaws. Failure to comply with and maintain these requirements will result in your dismissal from the National Honor Society. If your behavior in school requires administrative disciplinary action, your membership may be revoked. If, however, you abide by and maintain these requirements, you will be a part of a nationally recognized honor, service, and character organization that will open doors and opportunities, provide support and scholarship, and foster excellence and integrity. Just remember: It is what you do while you are involved as a member, not just being a member, which makes a statement.
- Submit your completed FAMU DRS Matthew H. Estaras NHS Application Packet by the established deadline.
- Initial qualifications will be verified by the FAMU DRS Guidance Office and FAMU DRS Administration (i.e., GPA, Discipline, etc.). *Only students in Grades 10-12 will be considered for membership.
- Interviews will be scheduled based on the Initial Qualifications Check. (Students who do not complete their interview will not be considered for membership. **Due to COVID-19 precautions, interviews may be completed with the council virtually.)
- Video-taped interviews may be conducted with the chapter sponsor/adviser and shared with the FAMU DRS NHS Faculty Council.
- Completed applications and interviews will be reviewed, evaluated, and scored by the FAMU DRS NHS Faculty Council.
- Invitations for membership will be disseminated.
- A FAMU DRS NHS Induction Ceremony will be held for new members. (***Due to COVID-19 precautions, we may have a virtual induction ceremony.)